The Cougar Times

The Garrison Union Free School
1100 Route 9D
Garrison, New York 10524
(845) 424-3689

Editors
Olivia
John

Adviser
Mrs. Rowe

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Play Then Eat?

By Lana

A recent New York Times article titled "Play Then Eat: Shift May Bring Gains at School" has brought an interesting topic to my attention. I have never really thought about having recess and then lunch. But as I read the article, I began to think about it. It seems like a great idea for students in elementary school but I don't think it matters to older kids in middle school. I wouldn't like the idea myself. After classes in the morning, I'm starving and I just want to eat. If we had recess first, I wouldn't even be able to enjoy it because I'm so hungry. I think that it makes a difference to younger students, though, because they look forward to recess more. That's what they look forward to all day. For older kids, we don't care that much about having recess. We just like to socialize and get a break, which is what we can do at lunch. But it sounds like a great idea for little kids because it gets out their hyper energy and urge to play so that when lunch comes they'll actually sit down and eat and not rush through their lunch.

See the full text of the New York Times article through the link below:

1 comment:

  1. This was an interesting article, thanks for posting it! Do you think middle school students preferred having recess first when they were younger?

    ReplyDelete