The Cougar Times

The Garrison Union Free School
1100 Route 9D
Garrison, New York 10524
(845) 424-3689

Editors
Olivia
John

Adviser
Mrs. Rowe

Friday, June 6, 2008

Essay: Saxophonin' to the Top

By Simon

The baritone saxophone (a.k.a. bari-sax) is essentially a giant saxophone. Because it is so much larger, it plays an octave lower than a basic alto sax.

I started playing an instrument for the school in 5th grade, but I did not start out with the bari-sax. I would have, but the school had not actually bought it yet. In fact, I first played a clarinet. I then went on to play a bass clarinet. Just as the bari-sax is to the alto sax, the bass clarinet is to the clarinet. This year I started playing the bari-sax. I was tired of the clarinet. Besides, the bari-sax was shiny, and I always wanted to play the sax.

Because of the sax’s size, you have to reach quite far to play some notes. It’s also really hard to carry it because it’s so heavy, and if I ever dropped it, Mrs. Bresnan would have a super-sized cow.

I’ve performed in about nine concerts and every single time, mostly this year since I had to play a solo, I’ve been extremely nervous. My favorite songs that I’ve played are the "Bottom Line" (Williams), which we played in advanced band this last concert, and my all-time favorite "Birdland" (Sweeney), which we played in jazz band.

I probably don’t practice as often as I should. I get in about two practices a week at school. I don’t bring it home, though, because of three reasons: it’s too big; I’m not allowed to bring it on the bus; and my mom gets irritated driving to and from school for it.

As I already said, I play the clarinet and bass clarinet. I tried to play the guitar. That was a mistake. Now my mom is trying to teach me piano, because we already own one and I don’t need to lug that to and from school.

I would like to continue playing the sax, but the school owns the one I use. I would buy one, but they’re extremely expensive. If I did get one, I would probably start a garage band.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Simon, I learned a lot from your article about instruments in general and the sax in particular. I hope you do get the chance to play in a garage band - how cool.
    Best wished, Mrs. Prentice

    ReplyDelete